Mary and Max was a film that really kept me on my toes. When I saw that I was going to be watching an animation, I automatically assumed it was like any other childlike animation that I had seen before. When I started watching it, I realized how completely wrong my assumption was. This film was extremely innovative and original and an excellent way to put an adult twist on such a child specific genre of film.
Mary and Max has so many extremely depressing qualities but it is the humor in the film that keeps the viewer from feeling entirely depressed at the end. My favorite scene that expressed both extremely depressing qualities along side comedic factors was Mary's suicide attempt. The viewer sees Mary strung out on Valium and about to hang herself in the living room when there is a knock on the door. When Mary decides to answer the door, it is her neighbor who has come outside and to Mary's door to deliver her package from Max (despite his fear of the outdoors). The audience gets the comedic factor when he tries to wheel himself across the street and almost gets hit by a car but only laughs. All movie we have seen this character who seems weak and fearful become very brave and save the character who the viewer believed to be brave all along.
No comments:
Post a Comment